Egg Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl911, Sep 8, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    I have my hens eating the medicated grower feed fixing to introduce the oyster shell my question is if they are eating the medicated feed can we still eat their eggs with out us getting sick. I have been feeding them this for a while just to make sure they do not get sick. the readon i have them on the grower feed is because i have smaller ones out there that are not close to to laying yet

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Put them on a mixed flock feed. I don't know how long you need to wait for the meds to be out of their system, maybe someone does

3. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    also if i need to stop the medicated feed on the ones outside what do i feed them since they are different ages by about 3 weeks so i feed them one type of feed and introduce the oyster shell to the older ones. I just do not want to feed them wrong or start them on layer feed before they are ready. I also have some that are 4 weeks old still in the brooder.

4. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    has called everywhere and they only have medicated

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    What are they medicating it with..Amprol or some kind of antibiotic? If it's just Amprol I'd have no problem eating the eggs, but wouldn't sell them. Have you tried looking for gamebird feed or flockraiser or just chick feed? I have my mixed age/species on gamebird and offer oyster shell free choice so the layers can meet their calcium needs. Trying to keep all the feed seperate would make me crazy so I just use the gamebird, much easier and everybody stays happy and healthy.

6. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    There should be a withdrawl time on the feed tag. I think medicated feed has a 2 week withdrawl.

7. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    the feed has bacitracin methylene disalicylate in it i called around looking for the flockraiser feed but nobody has it and all the other feed except the layer pellets is medicated.

8. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    if the little ones eat the layer before they suppose to will it hurt them. i plan not to put them outside till they are about 10 to 12 weeks old that is if they do not out grow their room.

9. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    anybody have any sugestions

10. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Two weeks off medicated feed before eating the eggs is what I've heard.

When you have called around asking about unmedicated feed, were you asking for chicken feed? In some areas all chicken feed is required by law to be medicated, but feed for poultry (i.e., chickens, turkeys and ducks) is not medicated. Ask specifically for Purina Flock Raiser - someone near you surely sells that! Then, provide free choice oyster shell for the layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by