1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg question....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickfan, Jan 26, 2011.

1. chickfan

chickfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I'm not sure which thread to put this question in, so I hope I've chosen right.
    I'm temporarily off chicken duty due to foot surgery, so DH is doing most of the stuff I've been doing for two years. He asked me to bring this up to the group, since he knows he will get an answer. LOL
    The last three days, he has gotten an egg from one of the nest boxes, and each time the egg has a small hole in one end of it. The egg that I saw this evening, had not been dropped, and there is no indication of anything coming out of the egg. I believe it is just the shell that is open...I can see the membrane inside the tiny hole. Does anyone know what is causing this? I have to suspect that the chicken is actually pecking the hole in the egg....seems like I might have heard about that before. But she isn't eating the egg...it is completely intact except for that one little hole. I had two chickens once, brooding side by side on several eggs, and one day I found an egg from each of them that they had been sitting on, that suddenly had a hole like this. I decided they probably knew something was not right, and pecked the hole and then each moved their egg completely out of the nest. Pretty fascinating, I thought. I don't remember if the egg was still intact, or if the shell was empty.
    Any thoughts or ideas or bits of knowledge will be greatly appreciated. I read this board over and over every day, and have learned so much and enjoyed everyone's stories and ideas more than I can say. I'm really missing not being out with my babies, but doc says no go until the pins are out of the toes (triple yuk) and everything is completely healed, which will be a few weeks yet. There is too much of a risk for infection, and I wouldn't want to even take a chance. I'm hoping DH will have a new appreciation not only for the chickens, but for the effort I put into the whole thing to keep them healthy and happy for the most part! He suspects that I'm crazy though! LOL
    Thank you all.

2. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    feel better hope you heal quickly so you can go back to your chickies.

3. chickfan

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Thank you so much! This was the last thing I would expect to happen, and it sneaked up on me like Christmas. It is just going to take a long time to heal......but I can't risk doing something wrong and prolonging the healing time. I've had breast cancer and rheumatoid arthritis (both doing well...knock on wood) but something as "simple" as foot surgery has knocked me on my can! LOL I told my doc that he was going to have to come over each night and count beaks and put the chickens up for the night. He laughed and said he could probably arrange that! LOL
    At least we chicken lovers understand each other, and that is healing by itself!
    Thanks again.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I would suspect that they pecked the hole in the egg, then decided it wasn't worth the trouble and moved on. (oh look, a bug!)

ETA: And ouch on the foot! Hope you are up and chicken tending soon!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  5. chickfan

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Thanks for the reply. I can't think of anything else that would make a small but perfect hole....couldn't have been done by anything else other than a beak. But it is odd...three days in a row. At least she isn't eating the egg, and leaving a mess.
    Thanks for the good foot wishes also!

6. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I had this happen for awhile too! I don't know which hen it was, and eventually she stopped... Hopefully yours will too!

7. chickfan

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Thank you. Maybe the chicken knows something we don't...about a bad egg or something. Hopefully it will stop, but it would be interesting to know why it happens in the first place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by