1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hereachick, Apr 27, 2008.

1. hereachick

hereachick Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]I'm new to chickens and I have a young flock of various brown egg layers.Will their eggs all be different or because they are all brown egg layers will their eggs be similar? I have 2 of each breed and don't want the eggs in the boxes to look to funny.Should I have more of the same type of chicken? Sorry if this question sounds silly but, I was curious about the breeds.Thanks

2. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Eggs from different breeds will vary in shade and size. Personally, I find the variety in the eggs something that people are looking for if you are planning to sell them.

3. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I have several different breeds of pullets,too. They are only 8 weeks old, so they aren't laying yet. Can you tell me if there is any certian breed that starts laying earlier that another breed, and do you know the average age for RIR to start laying?

4. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    My RIR's are almost 25 weeks and have just started laying this week (not all of them). I seem to get "late bloomers", and most of my chicks don't lay until 25-26 weeks. I don't know if this is normal, or just because of the breeds I get (I have RIR and Barred Rocks) My aracaunas lay even later.

5. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    WOW! I live in NE Georgia. Where do you live? Does climate or region have anything to do with it?

6. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    I don't know! I live in MI, so maybe! It's been a long, cold winter! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by