Egg question????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhinomd, Nov 17, 2011.

1. rhinomd

rhinomd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Jackson,TN
    How do I store the eggs before incubation? Also how long will eggs sit out before it can still be safe to incubate Them?

2. readjulie

readjulie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    I put ours in an egg carton and set them in a back darker bedroom. I was waiting to get as many Maran eggs that I could. I think I waited 5 days. The eggs can sit for a while (2 weeks?)but chances of hatching go down. Good luck.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Usually to ensure quality hatches, you want to start no later than 7 days after being laid. Store them pointy end down and turn them twice a day!

Turn by putting a book about an inch thick under the side of the egg carton, or I just plug in my turner and add them to it as I collect them. Lol. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have eggs in the bator now. They were all shipped from several different breeders. I put them in egg cartons (pointed ends down) in our guest bedroom. Several times a day I moved a small pillow from under one end of the egg carton to the other (to gently turn the eggs). I kept the first eggs in that bedroom for about ten days while I waited for the other eggs to arrive I set all the eggs at the same time. So far, after candling, it looks a good percentage of those first eggs are growing. So I think you can probably keep them for up to 10 days in a cool place - and turn them regularly - without losing a lot of viability.

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Just as everybody else has said [​IMG]

We use an old (But clean) egg-carton. Put the eggs in, be sure the pointy end of the egg is facing
    down. The air sac is in the fat end of the egg, and if the eggs are stored pointy end up, the air sac
    might try and migrate to the top of the egg. Store at room temp. & Turn the eggs once a day. It's

recommended not to store the eggs past 14 days after being laid, because the chance of them
    hatching decreases everyday while being stored.

Have fun!

6. rhinomd

rhinomd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Jackson,TN
    Thank you everyone. I was able to open my mini advance today to regeister it but cant use it till dec 23rd.[​IMG] then after that i will look for me some eggs from a polish to hatch only 7 though.[​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Good luck and have fun... [​IMG]

8. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    I leave mine sit, big end up, in a room about 70 degrees up to 7 days and get high hatch rates. I dont even rotate them unless I think about it. Ideal temp is 60.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Actually, X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by