Egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CountryTink13, Jan 31, 2013.

1. CountryTink13

CountryTink13 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Wilton, CA
    Ok, I can already see some eye-rolls and admit this is probably a pretty dumb question.
    I only get to visit with my chickens on the weekends, but today I got to take the afternoon off work (yay!)
    Of course the first thing I did upon arriving home was head to the chicken coop.
    I noticed that somebody (or a couple of somebodies?) have laid two eggs in one of the nesting boxes. Now what I don't know is how long the eggs have been there. Could have laid this morning or might have been there since Monday.
    Is it ok to go ahead and bring them in for eating or should they stay where they are for possible hatching?

Oh, that brings up more questions...
    How long until chicken eggs hatch? If they don't hatch, can I just throw them in the garbage? Will they stink if they break?

Yeah, yeah...total newbie at this. LOL

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    If it's been cool the eggs will be fine . If your not sure do the water test. Just gently drop the eggs in a bowl of water and if they sink their fine. Old eggs will either stand up or float because of the air cell getting bigger. As far as leaving them to hatch first do you have a rooster and even if you do if nobody is sitting on them they won't hatch. You need either a broody hen or an incubator to get them to hatch.

3. CountryTink13

Dec 30, 2012
    Wilton, CA
    Thanks for the reply DanEP.
    Daytime temps have been in the 60's here. We do have a rooster, but nobody sitting on the eggs when I found them.

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    A couple of days at 60 won't hurt them at all. I always leave a few on the counter at 70 degrees cuz I like to cook with warm eggs it makes fluffier cake and stuff.

5. CountryTink13

Dec 30, 2012
    Wilton, CA
    When I got home from work last night, the report was 7 eggs in the nest box. But, for some reason my kids didn't bring them in. New problem is that hubby seems to want to let them hatch! He wants me to candle the eggs and let the girls hatch them. Really? I just wanted eggs for cooking. Oh my! No idea what to do here.
    I think I'm just gonna bring the eggs in and put them in the fridge.
    So new to this whole chicken mamma thing not really sure I wanna be a chicken grandma just yet. LOL
    Thanks again DanEP, I did not know that warmer eggs make fluffy cakes. Good to know.
    So...just for clarification...I can put the eggs in the fridge for a bit, then gently put them in a bowl of water, sinking eggs good...floating eggs bad. Do I have that right?

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A hen needs to go broody to want to sit on the eggs to hatch them. When the hormones kick in, she will sit on the nest day and night to keep them warm, only coming off the nest for a few minutes a day. The instinct has mostly been bred out of today's hens, but it does happen. I think you are safe to take the eggs to use, until one does go broody.

7. CountryTink13

Dec 30, 2012
    Wilton, CA
    Ah, thanks for that.
    I just gathered up the eggs in the nest box (4 nest boxes but only one being used...is that normal?) 9 eggs! One was a bit funky looking...less shell on one side...otherwise they look like normal chicken eggs. Heavy for their size.
    Did the water bowl trick and they all sank to the bottom so I wiped them gently with a paper towel and stuck 'em in the fridge.
    When I picked up the eggs out of the nest they were all cold. So, I'm guessing that none of the hens have been sitting.
    If one of the hens chooses to go broody, how long will it take for the eggs to hatch?

8. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It is about 21 days for the chicks to develop and hatch. Hens do like to pile them up in one nest. Its a case of, one laid there then this must be a good place.

9. CountryTink13

Dec 30, 2012
    Wilton, CA
    Oh ok. I did finally find a post that says about 21 days till hatching...took forever to find it. LOL There is so much to read here!
    I noticed today while gathering eggs (2 today!) that somebody has been in one of the other nests...but no eggs there yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by