Egg question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JeninMN, Aug 25, 2008.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    We just had our first meal of fresh scrambled eggs this past Saturday!!

Question is this..we cracked each one to make sure they looked "good"..

There were a couple that were different from the others..like it had some kind of blob/discolor to the eggwhite...not the whole thing..but enough that we threw them out thinking maybe they were bad...

What is and what isn't normal in fresh eggs??

Thanks!!

Jen

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    How old are your hens, and how old were the eggs?

3. JeninMN

Apr 3, 2008
    turned 20 weeks yesterday...eggs had been in the fridge maybe a few days...we waited till we had enough for 2 of us to eat till we ate them...it more or less looked like little black dots in off colored egg white on part of it...we just didn't think it looked right so wanted to check it out.....

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    It probably wouldn't have hurt anything... the pullets are just getting the kinks worked out of the ol' plumbing. [​IMG] Congratulations! Nothing like having fresh eggs from your own chickens!
    [​IMG]

5. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    We took a class this spring at Michigan State University and they explained your problem.

The glob is called a meat spot. eggs can have a meat spot or a blood spot in them.

It is ok to eat eggs with blood spots. It is just not visually appealing.

With the meat spot, it says that if the spot is 1/8-inch diameter is classified as a grade B egg. Anything larger than this is classified as inedible.

Usually what I do is if we get one, which is few and far between is I try to remove the meat spot before cooking with it.

6. JeninMN

Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks much!! Now we know [​IMG] Whew...

7. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Or you can scramble them up for your hens.

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    My dogs have informed me that eggs with meat spots are very, very bad for people and should only be fed to canines.

Now, they also told me eggs without meat spots are very, very bad for people and . . .

[​IMG]

9. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Quote:Made me laugh.

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:HAHAHAHAHA!!! [​IMG]

Yeah, the eggs are fine, but every once in a while there will be a little something extra in there. Just pull it out before cooking. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by