Egg question...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by missbecky, Oct 28, 2014.

1. missbecky

missbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Bowling Green, KY
    To refrigerate, or not to refrigerate?

That is the question.

Also... How long do eggs last in & out of refrigeration?

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    1 person likes this.
  3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

I don't wash or refrigerate. I just leave them at room temperature until I am ready to use them. I have used eggs that are over 4 weeks old like this, that were perfectly fine. If they are heavily soiled I wash them just before I cook them. Washing them when you first collect them removes the "Bloom" which is a natural anti bacterial breathable coating that the hens body coats the egg with just before it is laid. Nature is wonderfully clever!

4. missbecky

missbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Bowling Green, KY
    Thank you so much, that's good to know. It'll surely save some room in my fridge ;)

5. klilly20

klilly20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    Can some one tell me what is the best way to peal a fresh hard boiled egg. I have tried using vinegar in my water and letting them cool that didn't work it was nothing but a mess tried while they where warm that wasn't happening. We wanted deviled eggs for the holidays lol well as luck would have we did not have deviled eggs for the holidays. Does piercing a hole into the egg help?

6. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    I have a hard boiled egg cooker. It cooks perfectly every time. Even when i did boil in a pot, i used older eggs. When either method has finished, i dump the eggs into ice water to cool for a while.

When i get around to peeling, i peel under cold running water. Contracts the eggs and i don't get sticking.

7. earlshens

earlshens New Egg

Jan 2, 2015
    I have a ? I have three hens under a yr old o get two eggs a day I know all three hens are laying but I still only get two a day???

8. Chicken Heaven

Chicken Heaven Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I add salt to the water when I boil the eggs...they peel easily.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by