Egg question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dimi, Mar 30, 2015.

1. dimi

dimi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    NJ
    Hi, all,
    I am building my incubator and planning my first (quail) hatch. Basic question: how do I store eggs that I plan on incubating before putting them into the incubator? Or how soon after the egg is layed it needs to be in the incubator?

I do understand the embryo will not start develop until the temperature is not 100.5F and 30% humidity. Is it safe to keep eggs at room temperature for a couple of days until I have enough to put into the incubator?

Thanks,
    Dimi

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Hi Dimi. You can store them for up to a week. Most folks do some rotation during that time, usually by putting them in an egg carton and lifting first one end and then the other to tilt the carton on a book. Lower temps for storage are better. I'm happy with 55 - 65*

1 person likes this.
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Embryos will begin develop at subnormal rates when the temperature reaches about 80o F (27 C) (SITED FROM: http://chickscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/resources/egg_to_chick/procedures.html) Humidity levels do not determine the start of developement, though they are detrimental in proper growth and hatching.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by