Egg questions from a chicken newbie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mlcrowley, Mar 21, 2017.

1. mlcrowley

mlcrowley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Hi! This may seem silly, I apologize if so. We've got 5 3-year old hens that are starting to lay after a rough winter. I thought I had it narrowed down to who was laying, but today they confused me. It seems as though we are getting 5 different colored eggs, so that would tell me all 5 have resumed laying, but is it possible for a hens egg color to change slightly day to day? I thought only one of our EE'S were laying, but yesterday's egg was slightly greenish and the one today is noticeably more blue. Thoughts?

2. mlcrowley

Feb 27, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Five hens, five eggs... looks to me like everyone participated today!

4. mlcrowley

Feb 27, 2017

This is a collection over 2 days. We got 3 eggs yesterday, 3 today. Two of them I know are the same hen, the barred rock who laid the middle one in the photo :) I didn't include her egg from yesterday in the photo

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would say the blue and green eggs came from different birds because of the shape and speckles on the green.
    But just keep watching, taking pics everyday might help for comparison after a week or two.
    Those 5 eggs all look pretty unique.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by