1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Questions-Silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spencer creek, Dec 12, 2008.

1. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Hi-
    This is my first post and I am new to Silkies. I apologize if this has already been asked, if so please send me the link.

As, I am trying to learn, please excuse me if this is dumb question.

Question: Is it possible to order "nice quality eggs" from a breeder and let your hen set on them and raise them? I have a hen who has been laying an egg every other day and would of course like to continue setting on them. I am looking to up my stock. I can incubate but was wondering about letting my hen do the work...

Educate me, I have searched for this topic. Thanks.

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:First: [​IMG]
    Next, yes, that is completely possible. Silkies are very good sitters, so you might have good results at it!!
    There are good silkie keepers on this board, and I am sure they would be happy to hook you up!!
    GOOD LUCK!
    Christina

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    When my Silkie went broody she didn't lay any eggs. You said yours is laying one every other day. I would assume then that she isn't broody or ready to really sit on the eggs (all day and night).

4. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    So would I let her keep her eggs and swap them out with ordered eggs when she starts setting?

5. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    [​IMG]

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Is she actually sitting on the eggs ALL day? Only coming out to eat once a day very quickly?

If she's not, I wouldn't give her any eggs.

They typically stop laying if they are broody (sitting to hatch).

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I have 10 Silkie pullets and have had 4 of them go broody so far - the only reason the other six haven't is because they haven't started laying, yet! [​IMG] Mine don't seem to care about the weather or anything else - they go broody!

Mine lay about 10 eggs or so before they go broody, so I wouldn't be surprised if your girl suddenly goes broody. They're laying what they consider an acceptable clutch of eggs before sitting. Of course, all that time, I've been gathering up all their eggs and eating them! It doesn't matter to them that I took the eggs, their internal clock tells them it's time, so they sit. They'll sit on the other hens eggs or golf balls or easter eggs or rocks or nothing at all! You don't need to leave real eggs in the nests for them to sit on.

Give them a few golf balls to encourage them while you're waiting for eggs you want to hatch. You can buy whatever eggs you want - she'll hatch them for you. People use Silkies to hatch ducks, quail, peacocks and of course other chickens. Keep in mind, Silkies are small and can usually handle about 12 banty eggs or 6 standard eggs. So when you order eggs - don't order 2 doz standard eggs and expect her to be able to keep them all warm!

Broody Silkies are excellent setters and mothers and so cute, too! I don't even own an incubator. A broody hen will warm the eggs, turn them, hatch them and brood the chicks. I don't have to worry about fluctuating temps, humidity levels or power outages. 2 of my broodies are raising 8 chicks out in my unheated barn in freezing weather with only their mamas for warmth and they're doing beautifully!

I love broodies and I'm glad to see someone else who wants to encourage the old-fashioned way! [​IMG]

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't actually buy any hatching eggs until you can confirm she actually is broody. You can't really force a hen to go broody by putting eggs out for her to sit on. I usually wait for them to start sitting on their own, then I tuck eggs under her.

9. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I had my silkie go broody a month ago. She kept sitting on everyone else's eggs because she stopped laying when she went broody. I finally got 6 fertilized eggs from a friend and she's on day 7 now with these eggs. I kept taking the eggs from her and she would just sit in an empty box before I got her some eggs. I'm really excited to see what happens and I hope yours will work out as well if you get her some eggs.

10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    The only problem I see with a hen setting the eggs is the time of year it is. When it is cold unless you can bring them into a warmer shelter it would be disasterous for the chicks. Chicks can get comatose fast with cold. You would have to take them right away if they hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by