EGG QUESTIONs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by got2bskilled, Feb 14, 2011.

1. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Hey folks~

I am a duck newbie. My 2 Khaki girls have started to lay, yea! So naturally, I decided to make an omlet with them after a a week collecting. When I tried to crack the eggs, the shell was tough and the membrane underneath was like rubber. I got shells in my yolks(lots)... I have soooo many questions about duck eggs. I thought I got the best breed for egg consumption. Please help with advice.

How do I crack the eggs?
    Is there a good way to clean the eggs- my ducks lay poopier eggs than my chickens?
    Will the egg flavor be different if I only feed them layer feed?
    Should I let them out of the pen to free range?
    Will they go back to the pen at night?

Thanks\\ got2bskilled

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    There eggs are definatly a lot tougher to crack then normal chicken eggs!I usually just crack the egg and if the membrane is really tough take a pairing knife and slit the membrane.As for cleaning the eggs try not cleaning too much because you will wipe away the natural oils in the pores of the egg and it will make it go bad faster but if they are really gross I take a damp paper towel and wipe off any excess poop.The egg flavor will not be different but I tend to notice a richer orange color in my duck yolks if they are given extra cracked corn.Free-ranging has its risks and benefits,they get to run a round and forage to there hearts delight for bugs and grass and they have a great time.But the risks are predators such as hawks,foxes and dogs during the daytime.This is why I usually let them free-range while I am home.As long as they have stayed in there enclosure for over 2 weeks they will know that that is there home.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I was the same when my ducks started laying. I gave it a small tap on the side of the bowl...nothing, gave it a sharper tap...I dented it, in the end I wacked it and got it cracked open but then I had the membrane to deal with. In the end I would take a knife and slit the membrane open and it was good to go.
    Just dont do what I did...I ran out of duck eggs so used a store bought chicken egg and slammed that sucker on the bowl like I do with my duck eggs...it was up the ceiling, walls, counters, me and none in the bowl, the egg was obliterated into nothing.
    To clean your eggs just wash them in water with a cloth.
    I dont know about different feeds, I feed layer and a bit of corn in the winter.
    Yes you can let them out the pen...just herd them in of a night time to lock them back up, after a few days they should get the idea and 1 day you will go out to find they have put themselves to bed and you just lock them in

4. got2bskilled

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you so much~! I will certainly have to go out and get a pearing knife.

As for the poop, my eggs have a filmy slime on them when I wash, unlike my chicken eggs. I have been using a scrub brush... maybe I should tone down like yall suggested. What I ve been doing is soaking the eggs in soapy water before I scrub em. I might try the supervised free ranging. I am a mother hen! LOL~ Thanks a million!

5. got2bskilled

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:To clean your eggs just wash them in water with a cloth.
    I dont know about different feeds, I feed layer and a bit of corn in the winter.
    Yes you can let them out the pen...just herd them in of a night time to lock them back up, after a few days they should get the idea and 1 day you will go out to find they have put themselves to bed and you just lock them in

THATS TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG] Consider that note taken into long term memory![​IMG] Thanks

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:To clean your eggs just wash them in water with a cloth.

THATS TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG] Consider that note taken into long term memory![​IMG] Thanks

Yes it will be in my long term memory too..I had just finished decorating the whole house. Its still on the ceiling and thats where it will stay.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For cleaning, I use a dry scrubby to get what I can off of the egg. I don't use water or soap, as I think this can get into the egg sometimes.

So, I just wipe off the egg. The bloom on the egg is a coating that helps keep it fresh. When I cook one, if it looks less than pristine, right before I cook it I wipe it off with cold water and a cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by