Egg questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JakRat, Dec 17, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Does a fertilized egg smell different when cracked open?

Whats that little red spot in the yolks?

2. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Ours smell no differant. Im not sure what red spot you see but when I crack mine open there is a white is colord something by the yolk.

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:its like a red spot instead of the white thing.

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    What I've learned on here is that sometimes
    before the shell is formed, the tract to the hen
    may get "scratched", thus the blood spot:confused:
    I'm not good with the technical terms![​IMG]

5. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Im not sure but maybe, and I could be very wrong so I hope someone else can help you, but could it be that maybe the embryo was starting?

6. freestargirl

freestargirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    NC Foothills
    They are called 'blood spots'. I can't remember exactly why/how they get there, but they won't hurt you. It's not the embryo though, I know that much. A fertilized egg will have a white bullseye on the yolk and that's the fertilized egg but if you pick them up everyday, then the chick can't form that much in that much time that you would have a chick. I don't even bother picking them out anymore, but the best way to do it is to take the tip of a butter knife with a small serrated edge- slips right off of spoons and forks tines are too small. If I'm making devilled eggs that are going to be served to other people, then when I dump the yolk out, the blood spot is between the yolk and the white. Picks out easy.

7. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I just cook em!

8. freestargirl

freestargirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    NC Foothills
    OOOOOHHHH and the whole reason I wanted to reply- I don't think fertile eggs have as much flavor- I was thinking it, but both my daughter & hubby said that our eggs tasted bland and I wondered if it was cuz they were fertile. I know what the hen eats goes into the egg making process, and wonder if it could vary by breed too? A friend of ours hens started laying first and they gave us some eggs and they were GOOOOD. They have no rooster and have a different breed of hens- I don't remember what. Our hens are Golden Comets & free range during the day and we give them all kinds of goodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by