Egg Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TriangleMaster9, Sep 23, 2012.

1. TriangleMaster9

TriangleMaster9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    Hey everyone, I got some questions about eggs, and no, I'm not going to ask you why my chicken hasn't started laying yet. ;) Anyways, I was wonder, what are some signs that chickens will be laying soon, any specific behavior? And what time of day do they lay or is it just completely random?
    Thanks, Trianglemaster9

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Look at their combs. Just before they start laying their combs will start turning red, their bodies will fill out more, especially round the hip area and they will show a lot of interest in the nest boxes and other laying hens if you have any. My pullets liked to watch the older hens lay and they were fascinated by their eggs. They may also start singing the egg song a few days before laying their first egg.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sometimes they will also start "squatting," sort of flattening to the ground and spreading their wings some, when you approach. Also the vent will become "looser" and look moist. But the red comb is probably the best sign; it is due to hormone changes.

4. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    I definately have noticed some squating, I don't currently have any other laying chickens. Some times when go to leave she starts making alittle noise, I hope thats just because shes sad im leaving but probably not..... Anys here are some pics I have from acouple weeks ago, She looks alittle different now, her waddle and comb are now bright red.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    Ok, tonight I came out to give chickens alittle treat and they seen to be sorta scared or something. They all are making funny short high pitched bocking sounds. I then but cup will make a alittle bit long/alouder one not nearly as deep, they all keep doing this. It's said that chickens can starting making a different/ wierd noise close to when they lay. Could this be it or are they just scared or something?

6. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    A chicken (or 2?) of mine just started laying. They are about 20wks old.
    They exhibited the same behaviors as you mentioned above. Also, in the week prior, they took a keen interest to the nesting boxes, moving the material around.

7. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    The two of mine who appear the oldest (have large woddles and crows) like to home up and pull some of the alphalph out of the masting boxes, and sometimes they'll come up to them and stick they're heads in them and look at the golfball in there. Will they not lay if the golfballs in there? I would asume if they gotta lay, they're gunna lay but you never know.

8. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    I just looked this morning... none... waiting for eggs is so painful...

9. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    You are so so close by the sounds of things! My girls got a little pickey with each other and messed around alot in the nest boxes moving litter and playing soccer with the fake eggs! Finally it happened.....it was a bit sporattic and got a few weird eggs(soft shells, dropped from the roost at night etc), but got the kinks all worked out and getting lots of beautiful eggs now....

10. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    I might have been getting one today or tomorrow or something but some people started digging a hole for a house next door and they're pretty spooked. So, probably none today or tomorrow. Fortunately they'll be done digging by the end of the day.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by