Egg questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hope4rainbow, Nov 9, 2013.

1. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Hi! Haven't been around in a while. Our Leghorn girls are laying! We have several smaller/younger chickens as well, but they aren't old enough to lay yet. We are gettin 1-3 eggs a day from the four that we have left. We got 20 eggs in 8 days.
    One that was the first to lay got killed but not eaten on her third day laying. It didn't even try to eat her, we went through a lot finding our remaining chickens! :(
    Anyway, someone is laying cream colored eggs! I just cooked some for the first time today and the cream ones have a pink inner shell. I tried pretty hard to get a good pic but it doesn't show very well on my phone camera. They are nice, thick shells with great looking yolks and very yummy of course!
    The color really surprised me, though!
    Does anyone know what the reason could be?

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    My best guess is an impure bloodline. Your leghorn may have had a Rhode Island Red or another breed somewhere in her family tree.

3. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Theyre light enough they look white unless you're looking at a super white ones. It's just weird lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by