Egg Record for 2009 (3 Isa Brown Hens)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ghulst, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I have three Isa Brown hens that were hatched June 20 2008. On Janurary 1 2009 I started keeping records. This is though Jan 1 2010
    928 eggs laid
    77.33 doz
    .75 lbs of 17% laying mash per day = 273.75 lbs total for year
    18.2 cents per lb= 64 cents per doz. Most eggs were jumbos
    The hens were housed in a unheated building . Given water twice a day if forzen. Always had 14 hours of light. They were hand fed the 3/4 lb of mash once a day.If they had been pastured less feed would have been used. You sure can raise your own egg much cheaper then store bought eggs. I wish I could get my feed price down. I beleive that the comercial farmer is paying about 13 cent per lb.

2. ISSOLA

ISSOLA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    North Shore, MA
    WOWOWOW!

I would really love to know how they do on year 2 and year 3; and when will they molt, and if so how fast they molt. Gosh - i have this curiosity. We only hear about first year laying for the most part in this forum, on any chicken breed or hybrid.

Anyway - envious of your chicken productivity. The fact that predators haven't got to them, is telling me that you are keeping them safe enough in a well-built coop.

Thanks for sharing...

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I want to know MORE about these ISA's...are they from Townline? I'm thinking about placing an order for some any day, and some white rocks and RIR chicks. Tell us more!

4. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    my isa's lay large brown eggs just about every day, they started out large, no small little pullet eggs. they are great tempered and customers love their big brown eggs.

5. ghulst

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Yes they are from townline.I can't say enough good about them. If you want eggs I would forget about the RIRs and WRs.

6. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    Great job. We are going to do the same thing this year, but not by the year as our chickens are always changing. We are going by the number of chickens to bags per month.

7. ghulst

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Quote:I don't know how they will do as 2-3 year olds. I have thought about putting them into a molt if they get below 50% production. It sure is fun keeping records. I have3 more flocks with a total of 37 hens . All are Isa Browns.One flock of 9 hens I pastered this summer and fall. It sure cut the feed bill. I don't think that they produced as good. I need more testing.
    I am trying to cut my feed bill as much as possible without losing production or egg size.
    I bet you are wondering why I am doing this. I was raised on a poultry farm 50 years ago and now am reliveing my childhood. We only had Leghorns plus my show birds then. We never had hens that laid this good.

8. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ISSOLA

ISSOLA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    North Shore, MA
    I bet you are wondering why I am doing this. I was raised on a poultry farm 50 years ago and now am reliveing my childhood. We only had Leghorns plus my show birds then. We never had hens that laid this good.

I completely "GET" why you do this. My Mom had bought 25 chicks every year, and we keep 4 out of the lot; and give the rest to other family. I was the one responsible for collecting eggs daily, and changing litter. We fed cracked corn and free-ranged. We did not use "layer feed" like you do now.

I remember one chicken/hen - that was the most friendliest and productive. She knew her name, and would always come when called. I think she got butchered finally (I have blocked that memory out). Mom always kept these near - "traumatic" truths hidden.[​IMG]

Again - the theme is reliving a childhood love.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by