1. Foghorn-Leghorn46

Foghorn-Leghorn46 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Alabama
    I'm about to start getting eggs from my flock for the first time, i need a refrigerator to store the eggs in, cause they wont all fit in mine in my house. So does anybody know where i can buy a cheap refrigerator to store eggs in?

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Check your local recycle centers or your local goodwill stores... sometimes you can find em cheap or free! [​IMG]

3. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    estate sales....craigslist [​IMG]

4. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    I got a little 3 shelf fridge off my local freecycle. It wouldn't get their beer cold enough but stays right at 45* perfect for my eggs.

5. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Why won't you be able to use your normal fridge?

6. Foghorn-Leghorn46

Foghorn-Leghorn46 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Alabama
    No. With all the stuff in my fridge already. All the eggs I will be getting won't all fit in there

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Been there, done that--once the eggs start taking up the place where I store my beer, that is going too far. [​IMG]

8. JanetSmithery

JanetSmithery Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Are you using the eggs yourself or are you selling them?

If you're selling them, then definitely get a refrigerator. I second the Craigslist recommendation. I have much better luck finding what I need through that rather than Freecycle.

If you're just using them yourself...you might not need to refrigerate them. Yes, it's recommended practice in the US and yes, refrigeration will keep the eggs for a much longer length of time. But eggs keep pretty well at room temp for several weeks. In France, for example, eggs are pretty much always stored in a basket on a counter top.

My housing co-operative orders 5-7 dozen farm fresh eggs a week for our 20 housemates. We don't have the storage space for them in the fridge, so we keep them on a pantry shelf. They're definitely fine for at least 2 weeks, and none of us has gotten sick from the eggs in the entire 2 years we've been doing this. I think that fresh eggs will keep for up to a month at room temp. Store bought pre-refrigerated eggs should do for a week or two at room temp, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by