Egg Report - 1

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whoacowboy, Jul 8, 2011.

1. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    My boyfriend and I got seven hens two weeks ago. They are from three different farms. Three are about 18 weeks. Four are about 1 year. They have a nice coop, layer scratch, oyster shell, grit, they free range, they are friendly to me and with eachother. In two weeks, we have received about one egg a day. We think it is from the RIR. Her comb is red and she seems the most "in touch" with the whole chicken stuff. We are at a loss as to why the other three adult hens aren't doing anything. They coo and talk, they are alert and have a routine. We are so excited for eggs. Any advice?

2. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    I could be wrong but, I assume your not getting any eggs really is because they are all getting used to their new surroundings. When we first got our chickens they didn't lay right away eaither.

3. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Thank you, I have heard that. It seems like life's good for them. There really doesn't seem to be any tension. Do you think it may be a few weeks yet?

4. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    I think it just depends on how happy and how fast they get used to the newness of it all. The 18 week old ones proabably haven't even laid yet. So I guess in short, Yes. [​IMG] Enjoy your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by