Egg Right at Dark

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Remo, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Remo

Remo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Oneida, TN
    Went to close my pen right before dark tonite and one of my RIRs was sitting in a nest box. So I went back 15 mins later(it was dark) and sure enough there was a warm egg. I had let them out to free range about an hour earlier and gathered the eggs so I know this one was laid right before dark. I have never had one lay this late in the evening before. Does this happen very often?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    One of my Buff O girls laid an egg at 8:30 pm a few days ago. I know because I opened the coop door to check on them when I came home from work, and she was just getting off the nest. It was nice and warm, too. I had added a light in their coop last week to extend their day, due to only getting 1 egg a day.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not to me, though it has once in a while.

4. Remo

Remo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Oneida, TN
    Quote:Where is Leiper's Fork , TN? I am from Scott County, Tn. I might add that I don't use a light in my coop.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It takes approx. 26 hours for the whole egg process, so a little bit later each day until it becomes too late in the day to lay. Then the hen will sometimes skip a day and lay the following day.
    I get very late in the day eggs from time to time; completely normal.

6. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Mine seem to lay in cycles, for a few weeks they will lay in the morning and gradually lay a bit later each day till they all lay in the evening, then they will start the morning cycle again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by