Egg Roll-out Nest Box Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Colonel, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Colonel

Colonel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Florida
    [​IMG]

These are the new roll-out nest boxes that I am using. I'm sure that I'm not the first person to make such a design using plastic storage boxes, but they are working very well for me. I used to lose a lot of eggs to breakage and to egg-eating, and they used to require a lot of cleaning. Since I started using these, I have not lost a single egg.

They are cheap and easy to build. I posted some more photos and text on my Southern Agrarian blog - http://www.southernagrarian.com/building-a-roll-away-nest-box/

1 person likes this.
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Very nifty! Thanks for sharing!

3. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Thank you for this description and the link. Even with the pictures I had to re-read the instructions several times to "see" how to do this - but that's just me.

My girls are only 12 weeks old today, but I've been researching nest box ideas. I really want to build my own from material that I have (to save money)...and we definately have a few spare storage containers! [​IMG]

Thanks again!

4. Colonel

Colonel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Florida
    If you have any questions on it or if another photo would help, just let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by