Egg rolling at day 15...what to do? update...chirping and tapping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kvmommy, May 19, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Last night I heard my egg roll, and I shot up...then I thought I was hearing things then a little later I definitely heard it again. Its a distinct sound. So...Should I up the humidity now on Day 16 or risk drowning them?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Nope,
    probably be wise to stick to the plan you had.
    I've had chicks hatch as early has day 18 or 19 and they were fine even though it was the same day I raised the humidity.
    One was even pipped on day 18 when I took it out of the turner. [​IMG]
    Carolyn

3. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    Ok...now its chirping and tapping...so worried about it. Its wayyyyy too early.

4. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Was the temp too high maby???

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Sometimes they get sat on for a while before you pick them up. Maybe a little pre-incubating.

Plus, every hatch has an early bird. Don't worry about it too much, just keep things going like you would have normally.

FYI-- EVERY early hatcher I have EVER had has been a roo. WITH OUT FAIL. Big, strong, rooley-roos. [​IMG]

6. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    lol..i hope its not a roo...i can't have one. I have one right now I should find a home for, but he's not crowing and he is my absolute favorite. He is the most friendly and has sooo much personality. My daughter terrorizes them, but Hannibal always gets her back by pecking her toes. [​IMG] Ok...I'll just keep going like I planned. At least its not a zero hatch like last time!

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Any more updates on the egg?

8. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    Its not AN egg anymore...its 7 eggs. Either my heat was higher than I thought or in my post surgery drugged state wrote down the wrong dates. I'm leaning towards the wrong dates. I decided to up the humidity since 7 are tapping/rolling/and chirping.

9. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Well alls you can do is wait [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by