Egg Safety During the summer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EdistoChicks, Aug 22, 2010.

1. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    I had top leave the house this afternoon. At 11:00 my girls hadn't laid any eggs. At 4:00 I came home to eggs. They were in the shade but temps here are in the high 90's. How much time is pushing it? If we get sick from the eggs hubby will resent my chicken raising [​IMG] Am I the only paranoid person out there???
    Melissa

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Unless the eggs are cracked there should not be any problems. It has been hot here and on the days I work the eggs may be in the coop all day. Also have a broody right now that will confiscate the others eggs to sit on...that keeps them nice and toasty all day long...[​IMG] I've not had an egg go bad. If you are suspicious about the age/quality of an egg you can do the float/sink test to see if an egg is old (older than a few days....) and/or crack the egg(s) in question over a dish to check before you add it to pan/recipe etc. Eggs can be stored on the kitchen counter for a while too...they don't have to be refrigerated unless you need to store them longer (or you have a countersurfing large dog that will steal them of the counter...[​IMG] ) Eggs here are rarely stored for more than a few days to maybe a week, we eat a lot of eggs and give surplus away ...

3. joehafner

joehafner Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    FWIW the hole they came out of runs at about 102 degrees.

4. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    That's funny! We ate them and were fine.

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Something else you can do with eggs you are unsure of eating for yourself, is to scramble them up (cook) and feed them right back to your chickens. It sure seemed like strange advice to me a few months ago...but we have a plethora of eggs we can't eat, or give away...so our birds get some extra protein once a week, and the chickens LOVE it! (It is usually the bantam eggs we have in excess.)

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    High '90s? No, I wouldn't worry too much. We get over 100 F here everyday for months on end. We haven't gotten sick yet. Your temperatures actually sound pretty good to me right about now. [​IMG] Just practice usual egg safety and you will be fine.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Heh...took me a minute to figure that one out.

But, seriously, folks. Eggs can sit at room temperature for a week or more and still stay fresh enough to hatch (if they're fertile, of course).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by