Egg safety question in very hot weather

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prairiepearls, Jul 20, 2010.

1. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    I've looked through the forum and not seen an answer to my exact question. I've read that unrefrigerated eggs several days old are perfectly safe to eat, but *how* unrefrigerated?

I found an egg this morning that I'm certain was laid two days ago. (Only one of our hens has started laying -- 4 days ago, and I can account for the other 3 eggs.)

We've had highs near 100 degrees the past few days, lows in the upper 70s. Is that too high a temp for the egg to be safe after two days? (not worried about quality loss, just safety.)

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'd float it and see if it sinks...if it does, I'd eat it - after cracking into a separate dish to make sure it looked and smelled fine.

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:x2!!

4. blake101

blake101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    From what I have read you will be fine. If you bring them inside they will last up to 3 months unrefridgerated and up to 5 months refridgerated if you don't wash the Bloom off. A few days in the coop will not make a difference...Happy eating....

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Are you sure you don't mean "weeks"? From what I've read on here, max time out of the fridge is a couple of weeks. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't keep eggs IN my fridge for more than 5-6 weeks, and certainly wouldn't think of eating one that had been in there for 5 months... [​IMG]

6. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Actually, I've read the same. I've had eggs in the fridge for three months, sink tested them good, ate them with no effects. The water test hasn't failed me yet! [​IMG]

7. blake101

blake101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    Quote:Are you sure you don't mean "weeks"? From what I've read on here, max time out of the fridge is a couple of weeks. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't keep eggs IN my fridge for more than 5-6 weeks, and certainly wouldn't think of eating one that had been in there for 5 months... [​IMG]

What I read said months... I will try to find it and post the link...I was a little surprised. I believe the study was done by a college if I remember right. The bloom is the inportant part of it lasting, it need to stay on...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    weird...ya, I'd love to read the link!! Thanks! [​IMG]

9. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
  10. Rohnasmom

Rohnasmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    Bradford County .Pa.
    Wow interesting, good to know information on that subject, as my girls have occasionally dropped and egg in a new place and I didnt see it for a day...I always threw it out. Water testing to the rescue! Thanks guys and girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by