Egg Segregation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tamrajh, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    For the past few days all my green eggs have been in one nesting box and all my brown eggs have been in another box. Funny thing is, they're not in the same boxes every day.
    Are they doing this on purpose? They used to lay in different boxes but they weren't separated by color like this. It's very interesting.

2. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    Did you raise all the chickens together or one breed at a time? Chickens remember who they were raised with and will tend to lean towards those groups including going to the nest box at the same time or the same one. Even if it looks like you have one flock it may actually be 2 flocks hanging out together. Mine mixed and then when I got a 2nd rooster actually seperated back out in to the groups they had grown up in. If your breeds are very different from each other they may still divide even if they are raised together.

3. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    I have 5 different groups, 3 of which are laying eggs. The EE come from 2 different groups and seem to be laying together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by