1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Selling... Suggestions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chick_a_dee, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    ALRIGHT. My girls are laying now, well not all of them.. but at least 9 of them are laying (out of 15). We got 9 eggs yesterday, and 5 today (they didn't go out today, nasty blizzardy weather out but yesterday was lovely outside even though it was snowy, truth be told there could be more eggs in the coop right now as i've noticed a few laying around this time of day). We clearly have too many eggs for our own needs, at the moment we have 2 doz. in the fridge (granted at least 5 of those are old store bought white eggs, shh).

I want to get rid of some of these eggs, so we're thinking of starting to sell them. It'll be a little while before we get any bites on sales, but i want to at least put the word out there. Whatcha think? I reckon we can get $3.00/ doz. maybe, but I might price down at $2.75. We'll see, the only other person selling eggs that I know of (and this is about 16KM away) is selling their organic brown eggs for $4.50/ doz., organic as organic feed bought from the co-op I mean. Mine are on regular layer right now, but will be switching over to the organic layer after they've finished this lot.

Should I at least advertise and stuffs? I get a mixture of sizes right now, from large to medium though, but they should be all laying large eggs soon enough.

EDIT

I just looked on kijiji, and someone in my area is selling eggs now -_- for $3.00 doz. and $3.50 doz. delivered. LAME, no one was until just now. I think it's the hobby farm on #14 who just built themselves a new chicken house *evil squinty eyes at them*

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained...go for it.....but you will probably have to wait at least ten days before you can call them organic eggs...have to leave time for the change over of feed.. good luck and dont sell yourself too short as organic feed here in the Uk is very very expensive...don't know about the USA though..go for it..how egg-citing

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:We're in good ole Canada, and the feed seems pretty good price wise here. I bought a bag today to use when they run out of their other layer, definitely give them a waiting period before selling Organic for sure. The organic layer feed is $24.00 a bag, and a bag lasts me roughly a month with 15 chickens (they get corn, and sometimes a warm mash in the morning depending on the bitter coldness outside, it's -17 right now! which is made from organic oats etc. bought from the health food store).

If I sell 7 dozen a week, that's giving me some wiggle room, priced at $4.00 that's $105.00 a month, which more than covers their food. So I could sell less than that, cover their food, and cover our internet bill LOL.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Aww heck... now I have ANOTHER place to visit and waste time. Craigslist was bad enough [​IMG]
    christina

5. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Aww heck... now I have ANOTHER place to visit and waste time. Craigslist was bad enough [​IMG]
    christina

Hahaha... I watch kijiji like a hawk, I'm so bad for it.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Hey, that's not a bad price if it is a regular size bag -- what brand?

If I sell 7 dozen a week, that's giving me some wiggle room, priced at $4.00 that's $105.00 a month, which more than covers their food. So I could sell less than that, cover their food, and cover our internet bill LOL.

If you actually care about the economics, remember to figure in bedding and the eventual cost of replacement pullets, both the cost of the chicks (unless you have a roo and will be hatching your own) and the cost of feeding 'em til they start laying.

Have fun,

Pat​

7. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Hey, that's not a bad price if it is a regular size bag -- what brand?

If you actually care about the economics, remember to figure in bedding and the eventual cost of replacement pullets, both the cost of the chicks (unless you have a roo and will be hatching your own) and the cost of feeding 'em til they start laying.

Have fun,

Pat​

Yup, bedding right now we pay for but we are going to be buying a yard of shavings from the lumber mill which is cheaper than the bags of shavings we currently buy. We have a shavings shed. Replacement pullets are not so bad, all I really wanted was for the girls to pay for their own feed, we're ordering 5 more chicks for the spring.

And I believe it's a regular sized bag, I'll check the company but they're out of Lakefield... it's Merry something, I know that much lol.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:So sell yours for $3 a dozen and free delivery within a certain distance.....

9. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:So sell yours for $3 a dozen and free delivery within a certain distance.....

That's what I'm thinking now. I was thinking of delivery to the streets around us, and then an extra 25 cents or so to town.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yep, and be really nice when you meet the people - they will always go back to the nicest and the cheapest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by