Egg severely cracked on day 20/21, help!

Jun 14, 2019
View attachment 1851251 View attachment 1851250 There are 3 viable eggs that were due this weekend under one of my broody hens. This afternoon, one pipped and about 45 min later completely hatched. Healthy and SO SO CUTE. Upon looking, a second one that I didn’t realized may have pipped earlier was cracked. I assumed I may have missed it, but am considering mama may have accidentally crushed it? I expected it to be just as quick as the first one but It’s been 5-6 hrs now. Looks like the membrane is dry. Chick isn’t chirping but I keep checking and there is movement. What should I do?!

If you have coconut oil, vaseline or even vegtable oil ... Rub it on the membrane to keep it moist. Careful not to get oil in the nostrils.
Tagging help ... @Pyxis @oldhenlikesdogs @sylviethecochin
Thank you in advance :hugs

I know what I told my daughter to do but I'm not experienced enough to advise ;)
I have coconut oil! I feel awful. Thank you for your advice.

Why is that? Today was hatch day and doesn’t seem to be making it worse. I don’t have an incubator, what would you suggest? Heating pad?
Maybe others have had different experiences, but the times I left the cracked egg under the hen the chick or duckling has died. I recently hatched a duck egg in a homemade hatcher using a plastic bin, heating pad, and towels:
Homemade Hatcher Experiment

@Pyxis, @WVduckchick, what would you guys do?

Back
Top Bottom