We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Egg severely cracked on day 20/21, help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HobbyDragonisCool, Jul 20, 2019.

1. HobbyDragonisCool

HobbyDragonisCool Chirping

Jun 14, 2019
    View attachment 1851251 View attachment 1851250 There are 3 viable eggs that were due this weekend under one of my broody hens. This afternoon, one pipped and about 45 min later completely hatched. Healthy and SO SO CUTE. Upon looking, a second one that I didn’t realized may have pipped earlier was cracked. I assumed I may have missed it, but am considering mama may have accidentally crushed it? I expected it to be just as quick as the first one but It’s been 5-6 hrs now. Looks like the membrane is dry. Chick isn’t chirping but I keep checking and there is movement. What should I do?!

Texas Kiki likes this.
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    If you have coconut oil, vaseline or even vegtable oil ... Rub it on the membrane to keep it moist. Careful not to get oil in the nostrils.
    Tagging help ... @Pyxis @oldhenlikesdogs @sylviethecochin
    Thank you in advance :hugs

I know what I told my daughter to do but I'm not experienced enough to advise ;)

3. HobbyDragonisCool

Jun 14, 2019
    I have coconut oil! I feel awful. Thank you for your advice.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  4. HobbyDragonisCool

Jun 14, 2019
    I used a small paint brush and rubbed everywhere there was exposed membrane. Looks like it softened a lot. Put it back under mom, hoping it survives the night. Thank you so much!

ChickNanny13 and Texas Kiki like this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    It's been my experience that once they get that cracked that they will die if you put them back under the hen.

6. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
  7. HobbyDragonisCool

Jun 14, 2019
    Why is that? Today was hatch day and doesn’t seem to be making it worse. I don’t have an incubator, what would you suggest? Heating pad?

8. HobbyDragonisCool

Jun 14, 2019
    I would have gone to pick up an incubator if I originally thought it would come to this. Unfortunately stores are now closed near me. Would you think a heating pad, wet rag and Tupperware would work?

9. HobbyDragonisCool

Jun 14, 2019
    Oh shoot! I just clicked the link on how to make an incubator. I’m pretty sure I have all that equipment.

Texas Kiki and casportpony like this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Maybe others have had different experiences, but the times I left the cracked egg under the hen the chick or duckling has died. I recently hatched a duck egg in a homemade hatcher using a plastic bin, heating pad, and towels:
    Homemade Hatcher Experiment

@Pyxis, @WVduckchick, what would you guys do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: