egg sex-ed 101

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by homecatmom, Oct 29, 2007.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

In "everything else chicken" there is a post called - Pics of egg to chick devolpment. It is very interesting. It is a bit confusing to me. I thought the yolk of the egg was what nourished the chick during developement. This appears to be the way it is in the pictures. What is the white? Is the "egg" that starts the chick stuck on to the yolk, and when fertilized is that what makes the bullseye? Where does the white go? Reproduction in humans I understand, but this isn't making sense to me.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Egg yolk = think placenta in mammals.

The baby chick is not inside the yolk, but rather the group of cells that will become the chick is attached to the outside of the yolk (think mammal egg implanting in uterine wall).

In humans and other mammals, the outer part of the egg develops into the placenta and membrane/amniotic sac and the inner part of the egg becomes the baby.

Just as in humans, the egg implants and starts to build the placenta and it's vast network of blood vessels to begin to taken nourishment from the mother's uterine wall, the cells that will become the chick begin shooting out blood vessels that pull nourishment from the yolk.

Does drawing the parallels for you help??

3. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

yes thanks![​IMG] So by the time you break the egg (after fertilization) you get the bullseye due to cells dividing already! This is interesting.

4. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yep - the bulls eye is the blastocyst - that's what you call in in mammals anyway - the very first cell divisions of what will become the animal.

Oh, I should have added that unlike mammals, the chick absorbs the yolk and the sac which contains it before hatching, which is what enables it to survive several days without eating or drinking as it acclimates to life outside the egg.

If we did the same thing there would be no cord to cut - the baby would just absorb the placenta inside it's body for nourishment.

Seems in a way a more efficient way to reproduce - at least less 'waste' left over - just the shell and inner membrane left, unlike mammals who have the afterbirth (placenta) left over which is a big investment of energy.

However, I guess it doesn't get wasted mostly afterall, as in many species of mammals, even herbivores, the mother eats the afterbirth, which has hormones in there that actually boost milk production and give the mother a much needed boost of protein.

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Thank God we are NOT one of those mammals!!! Oh yuck, we had a Mama cat have kittens this summer and I about died after she cleaned up after each kitten. I am a nurse and have seen everything, but good Lord that is nasty.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I agree KristenH,

If I had to do that, I would be childless

7. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Welllllll.... don't speak too soon about humans not eating their placentas...

It makes sense that the other mammals eat their placentas - they are quick source of protein for a ready made meal, especially in those critters that den up with their newborns for a period of time without eating. There is oxytocin in there that helps the uterus continue to contract and in the case of cats, encourage the rest of the kittens to be born. Other hormones in the placenta help boost milk production.

Finally, in herding grazing animals, eating the placenta helps hide evidence and the smell of the birth from predators who would like nothing more than newborn antelope for a snack.

When you look at it logically, you kinda wonder why we don't eat ours... Still it is not something that most humans are interested in - the 'ick' factor.

Well, not to gross you all out, but I teach natural childbirth classes, and we get all kinds...

There are actually recipies out there for preparations made from placenta - from soup to roast. In China it's considered a traditional medicine (dried and powdered) and taken for female complaints, which makes sense with the high concentration of hormones such as prostaglandins and oxytocin in the tissues.

Occasionally I get a couple who is interested in preparing their placentas. I personally know one lady who tried making stew out of theirs - said it really wasn't too tasty...

Lots of people do keep their placenta for various ritual or symbolism. Many plant theirs under the roots of a favorite tree, or bury it and then plant a tree in honor of the new baby. (Good fertilizer...) Others make 'placenta prints' - think sponge painting.

Funniest placenta story was a couple who did a hotel birth with a midwife (midwife couldn't come to their home because was in a different state where she wasn't licensed to practice) Anyway, they delivered the baby, all went well and they checked out of the hotel about midnight and went home. Just as the mom was getting settled down with the baby to bed, she sat upright and said "Oh honey, we left the placenta!'. They had left it in the mini bar refrigerator. So, off the dad goes in the middle of the night to retrieve the placenta. Just said 'uh, we forgot something' to the clerk. Can you imagine what the cleaning staff would have thought if they'd found that in the fridge??

It takes all kinds in this world. and the older I get the more I learn about people, the less judgemental I've become about their belief systems...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by