Egg Sexing...... Just Set 30 Production Red Eggs............11/25........9pm

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rgvchicks, Nov 25, 2012.

1. rgvchicks

rgvchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    After reading all comments on a Egg Sexing thread, I decided to give it a try. I just set 30 Production Red round bottom eggs and run a little experiment. Supposedly round bottom eggs give you females and pointed bottom eggs give you males. I really dont want males so I went all round bottoms. This is a theory that has been passed on from generation to generation. This eggs would be due on 12/17. Let's see what happens and I'll post results............anybody else setting today?

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I have heard that theory before.......I'm glad some one is actualy trying it out. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That's such a silly old wive's tale. I can tell which one of my hens laid which egg just by looking at the egg. This would mean that my Gold Comet Hagitha lays only eggs that produce females while my EE Tabitha lays only eggs that produce males. It will certainly be interesting, but if there was any truth to any of these tales, wouldn't it be widely known and widely used by hatcheries and breeders worldwide? It'll be interesting.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I personally know people who use this method and they do get males... they still swear it works though! I've hatched female chicks from pointy eggs and males from fat eggs, but I'd be interested to see how yours turn out. May finally bust this myth [​IMG] Keep us posted.

5. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

[​IMG]

nonsense, but I'll watch...

6. rgvchicks

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    thank you guys for your comments.....i know it's an old myth but there's a whole lot of people that swear that this works....[​IMG].......was thinking of setting some eggs so I said "What the heck, lets give it a try."....[​IMG]

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It would also mean that some breeds only produce males and others only females because egg shape is also a breed thing.

People swear by it but they also swear:
    food ingredients approved by the FDA are safe
    climate change isn't real
    you can believe everything you hear on the 'Fair and Balanced' news channel
    the President isn't American (perhaps because they don't know Hawaii is a state)

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Seeing is believing.

I'm curious to see how this experiment turn out. Was wondering when someone's going to try it.

9. brahma02

brahma02 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    I was told it is a myth, but will work for select chickens which is why some people can swear by it. Every hen is different, some will naturally lay round eggs while others will lay pointed eggs for their lives and some hens will naturally have more boys while some will naturally have more girls. This is from an article I read, and it sorta makes sence. Either way I'm excited to see the results.

10. rgvchicks

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    Like I promised, here are some pics of my oldtimer (homemade refridgeabator) and the evolution it went thruout this year. you can check the picks on my profile so you can see how it all started and the way it went evolving till today. its an old fridge but real faithful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by