Egg Sexing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pichikeen, Dec 10, 2008.

1. pichikeen

pichikeen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2008
    Per Pliny the Elder in Naturalis Historia (c.79 AD):
    "The rounder egge prooves to be the hen commonly, the rest will be cockes."

Have you found this to be true?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Absolutely false. It's an old wives tale. If that was true, hatcheries wouldn't have to kill thousands of cockerels every year.

3. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

The shape of the egg depends on the chicken. I have some that lay all round, others that lay almost cigar shaped.

Unfortunately it isn't true.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Now that is neat, next time I put eggs in the bator I'm going to mark them according to that prediction and also by dowsing and I'm going to see if anything is even remotely close!

5. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    So does anybody know how to sex 1 week old chicks?

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Nope, been there, done that, its a myth.

7. luvmychix

luvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Quote:I done this and put the rounded ones in one tray and the other in another tray and when they hatched i put each batch in different brooders and still came up with about a 50/50 in each.... sorry but Unfortunately it does not work. I wish it did but it don't.... Not with Quail anyway.

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:But it's so remarkable to think of someone studying chickens over nineteen hundred years ago,writing down his observations, and being able to read them today. What will chickens be like nineteen hundred years from now? Will anyone then be able to find the words we are writing about them today? What could Old Pliny have done if he had Internet access and BYC?

Maybe the chickens back then really did lay different shaped eggs depending on the sex of the chick within. But perhaps all our selective breeding has now produced chickens that lay eggs of a predictable, consistent shape.

Interesting things to think about...
    [​IMG] Look at me, Pliny! [​IMG] Look at me, Pliny! [​IMG]

9. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Quote:Depending on the breed, there is a way to sex day old chicks doing a wing feather test. It's been so long since I did this I would do a google search and see. But I think that if you spread the wing out, a female would have a second row of longer feathers and the roo would have feathers equal in length. Don't quote me on that though.

10. pichikeen

pichikeen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2008
    Quote:But it's so remarkable to think of someone studying chickens over nineteen hundred years ago,writing down his observations, and being able to read them today. What will chickens be like nineteen hundred years from now? Will anyone then be able to find the words we are writing about them today? What could Old Pliny have done if he had Internet access and BYC?

Maybe the chickens back then really did lay different shaped eggs depending on the sex of the chick within. But perhaps all our selective breeding has now produced chickens that lay eggs of a predictable, consistent shape.

Interesting things to think about...
    [​IMG] Look at me, Pliny! [​IMG] Look at me, Pliny! [​IMG]

This is what I was thinking exactly. The rest of the text is amazing to read...if only more were translated into English. [​IMG]
    He also gave us the gem "Admire the big farm, but till the small".
    Keen guy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by