egg shape and sex of chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zatsdeb, Apr 22, 2008.

1. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    My husband met an old timer at a sale, he was buying a rooster cause he sets eggs, always round ones, to get all hens. He has been doing this for years, and says it always works, He got the info from I believe, his grandmother...? But, we are trying that just to see.
    I just wondered if anyone has ever heard of this?
    My husband is funny, he gathers the eggs and looks at them as he washes them, saying, this is a hen, and this is a rooster..( the eggs that have a pointy end)

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

If only that were true!!! I can't believe it could be that easy to hatch pullets~ [​IMG] Wouldn't that be great!!!

Let us know your results - I'm sure most of us would love to stop hatching extra cockerels!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lori

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    its the same thing as women who are pregnant and people saying how you carry and the shape of you belly can tell. I think it probably works a decent amount of the time because you always have a 50/50 chance

4. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I've heard that too from the oldtimers while growing up but have never tried to test it.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    No truth to it. Your leg was firmly pulled.

Researchers and scietntists have been trying for hundreds of years for a method to sex chicks in the egg, without withdrawing amnitotic fluid and DNA testing. No one's ever been able to come up with anything that works.

Millions of day old cockrels are killed every years by day old hatcheries via 'mechanical masceration'. If there was a method, they'd be using it already to (hopefully) avoid this cruel downside of hatching eggs.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Agree...not true. An egg's shape is determined by a hens ovaduct. That would mean a single hen always has male offspring and another will only have female because of the shape of her egg. I have tried this test myself and always had the same results. Hatch results are unpredictable. Sometimes they are 50/50..sometimes 40/60 and on and on.

Jody

7. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

This only works if the eggs are laid during a waning moon.....[​IMG]

8. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    I read that in a farming book, I'm gonna see. I have eggs coming on the 28th. i'm gonna chart how many of what shape and see how many i get. for fun of coarse

9. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Too bad it's not as easy as sexing reptile eggs - you just incubate at a certain temp for girls and another temp for boys!!!!

Lori

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:*lol*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by