egg shelf life???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OrganicMamma, Dec 26, 2012.

1. OrganicMamma

OrganicMamma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    How long are eggs that don't get refrigerated good for? And if an egg gets frozen outside is it still good to eat once thawed? Thanks!

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

it depends on the temperature of the house, if the house is below 65 I would say around two weeks, above that temp I wouldn't do it past a week, and if it's above 75, I wouldn't do it at all. and yes, a frozen egg is still ok to eat after it has thawed.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It depend on the storage conditions. I've heard of eggs being good for months outside the fridge, but you'll need to keep them in a really cool place. Eggs can stay quite edible in a fridge for up to 4 months, but out of the fridge, don't wait longer than a month before you eat them. After that their quality won't be so great any more. Also remember eggs age more in 1 day outside a fridge than a week in a fridge.

Frozen eggs can be thawed and eaten. Some people store eggs like this, by putting them in the freezer. Just be careful when you thaw them. The freezing my crack the shell and you'll end up with a mess when you thaw them!

4. OrganicMamma

Nov 21, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks so much for your advice! I was wondering... because my brother-in-law said when he was in Africa he usually kept eggs under his bed for weeks at a time and they were okay. I thought that was a little weird but hey eggs are pretty amazing, you never know!

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Is this based on any actual information or is it just your feeling about the subject?
    Here's a link to an actual controlled study done by The Mother Earth News.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  6. salt and pepper

this is based on my feelings. it may not be fact, but I do know you shouldn't keep them out long in warm/ humid weather.

7. salt and pepper

i also know that people have successfully stored eggs for months in cellars. I just like the idea of fresh eggs. sorry if my comment was misinformation.

8. OrganicMamma

Nov 21, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote: This web site was really informative. I found it really interesting that unwashed eggs in the fridge keep best and up to 7 months. I thought i'd have to give away all the extra eggs from my 10 girls in the summer, but now I know I can safely keep them frozen or unwashed and in the fridge until needed. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by