1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg shell changes color in my hand

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bessinator, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Bessinator

Bessinator Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2015
    Hi,

I've noticed when I clean the eggs some of them will get lighter where my fingers were. You can see exactly where I've been holding it. We only have brown egg layers and it only happens on the lighter eggs. I was wondering if anyone knows what causes this, or has had this happen?

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Some of the "bloom" is coming off when you get the egg wet and rub it with your fingers. The bloom is the last thing the hen adds to the egg just before laying it. It gives the egg some of its color, it helps retain moisture in the egg, and it acts as a sort of antibacterial sealant. For all of those reasons, many folks don't wash eggs unless they're visibly dirty. I just put them right in the refrigerator, unwashed and they keep well for at least 3 months.

3. Bessinator

Apr 17, 2015
    I don't actually wash the eggs. I'm just taking a dry softer scotch brite pad and getting rid of the excess dirt. The light spots seem like they're coming from the heat of my fingers.

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    OK, now I understand. Yes, I've seen the same thing, especially when my hands are warm and the eggs are cold. I can see where my fingers were on the eggs, although it seems to go away when the temperature difference goes away.

5. Bessinator

Apr 17, 2015
    Most of them do too, but some stay that way after storing. I just checked and there is still one with the light spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by