egg shell color change?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woodlandblaze, Apr 17, 2012.

1. woodlandblaze

woodlandblaze Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    Washington
    I have a duck egg that is supposed to hatch today, but the egg shell is discolored. it even has the distinct ring where the air pocket is. is this normal? This is my first time hatching eggs. Did the duck die? I did have a home made incubator but I was loosing a bunch of eggs, so I got a real one from the feed store and it has helped alot. This is the only one that still looked alive a few days ago from the beginning of that set. I have since started several more in the incubator. I moved the one due to hatch to a hatch box that is warm and humid. It is just this discoloration on the shell that has me stumped. Any one else have this happen?

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I noticed that on my duck eggs to when they hatched. But they hatched just fine, maybe its a waterfowl thing?

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I noticed that on my duck eggs to when they hatched. But they hatched just fine, maybe its a waterfowl thing?

4. woodlandblaze

woodlandblaze Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    Washington
    ok thanks, this one still hasn't hatched yet but I will give it a few days just to be sure.

5. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    I have some chicken eggs in lockdown to hatch today or tomrrow, with the same thing. i was wondering this also. mine also have slightly darker spots on them, not like egg speckles, but almost like birthmarks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by