1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Shell is opaque and rubbery. Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mkeawsh, Jun 21, 2008.

1. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    A couple times in the past couple weeks I have found an egg that is opaque. I can see the yolk and white right through it and the shell is rubbery and pliable. What is wrong with the chicken? I have 12 hens and it would be virtually impossible for me to figure out which one is doing it.
    Does someone know what is happening with this hen?

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Do you have oyster shell (or other similar calcium source) available 24/7? What is their diet? Do you supplement with periodic Durvet V&E , Avia Charge 2000 or the like?

How old are your hens? The one laying eggs like you decsribe could have a problem passing them....

JJ

3. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    The get a complete feed named Homestead Extra Egg 16 with 16% Protein. It's not the standard feed they sell. I pay extra for it.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Oyster shell? If not, have some out 24/7 so they can get the calcium they need. That particular hen may need more calcium in order ot get a proper shell on the eggs.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by