Egg shell like plastic wrap!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tweet, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Tweet

Tweet New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    I'm not panicked since my girls are not for eggs production. Daisy is a 14 month old Serama Bantam. She lives with one dominant Serama hen. Daisy isn't a consistent layer, she has had good hard eggs but also 1 in 3 are so soft the shell is like plastic wrap or non existent. I give her oyster shell and lay pellets. During the day she roams the yard. Any suggestions for getting more consistent eggs?

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well, some hens are just inconsistent. It sounds like you're providing the correct food/environment. Sometimes stress can cause an egg to be laid early, without a fully formed shell. Is there anything recurring every few days that would stress her out? I'm reaching, here....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Perhaps check her food to see if there is enough protein. You can also offer scrambled eggs, and feed their own egg shells back to them. I found that one of the feeds I used wasn't as good as the one I'm using now. I'm feeding Purina Layena right now which a few of my friends use and the eggs are better.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. Chicken_Noodle_Poop

Chicken_Noodle_Poop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Try feeding them oyster shell chips, they have tons of calcium in them so the eggs will develop better shells.

6. Tweet

Tweet New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    Thank you all for your replies! Daisy did escape last week and spent 36 hours on the lamb. Thanks to a wonderful neighbor three blocks away she was caught. This may have stressed her out. I'm going to set her up in her own coop and nest box and monitor her food intake. Perhaps she just in need of some special love and attention.

Ridgerunner's link was great. The photo was right on and the advice was wonderful.

Thanks !!!

7. Tweet

Tweet New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    Thank you all for your replies! Daisy did escape last week and spent 36 hours on the lamb. Thanks to a wonderful neighbor three blocks away she was caught. This may have stressed her out. I'm going to set her up in her own coop and nest box and monitor her food intake. Perhaps she just in need of some special love and attention.

Ridgerunner's link was great. The photo was right on and the advice was wonderful.

Thanks !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by