Egg Shell Problem?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Michigan Chickman, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I have 31 RIRs that were hatched 4/7/08. I've been getting eggs for several weeks and am now getting 8-12 a day, so a about a third of the girls are laying. Today we had 11 eggs.
    [​IMG]
    I've noticed that almost everyday at least one of the eggs will be broken. Usually just a small hole on the narrow end and cracked. I was afraid that I had a hen breaking them during the day, but tonight I found something.
    [​IMG]
    It's like a small clump of shell that's really brittle. Are the hens breaking them trying to get it off? I would guess because it's a brittle spot it's breaking on its own as they roll it around sitting on it. They have had access to oyster shell for at least a month and have been on layer mash since just prior to starting to produce eggs.

What are these imperfections and how do I get them to go away? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help,
    Thom

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You may want to do a search. I saw a post in one of the forums with pictures of eggs just like yours, but haven't been able to find it, but will keep looking.

3. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Thanks cmom I'll look again too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by