1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Egg shell VS Oyster shell?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Aamanda, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chirping

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I had a "Chicken person" tell me today that only Oyster shell has any value to chickens and that feeding egg shells is worthless. So I decided to ask. I have always feed the shells back to my chickens. My Flock is free range all the time except at night. During the summer I provide layer feed for about an hour in the am and in the winter they get it free choice. They also get scraps and treats. I keep the shells in the freezer until I have the amount I want to grind. Grind it up and mix it with something. Today its greek yogurt. One of their favs. I have always fed them their shells. So did my grand, great and so on parents. What are you thoughts on this and is there really a difference or is it more personal?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  3. Aamanda

Aamanda Chirping

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    With the layer feed you're giving, they don't really need supplemental calcium.

I don't feed layer feed, my feed has about 4% calcium. I feed all my shells back to the flock, but it's a diminishing cycle. I toss in oyster shell for a boost when I think of it--maybe once a month or so, sometimes not that often. My birds didn't have anything but their shells from May-Dec this year and no problems with soft shells or other funkiness.

5. tatertot

tatertot Songster

Aug 20, 2013
    I have oyster shell out at all times..but I squash up their eggshells and they love it...they always have layer rations..mine do fine

6. Aamanda

Aamanda Chirping

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I have one hen...Laying rubber eggs from the roost AT NIGHT! I know it is probably because she is only about 4 1/2 months old. But the others who are the same age and starting to lay have no trouble. Someone let me know its normal lol. there have been three now, and all after dark.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Since she is only 4.5 months old, the shell-less eggs are hopefully just an age thing as she gets her egg laying system into gear. With young layers a range of odd eggs like shell less eggs, double yolks, funny shaped ones and inconstant laying is pretty common. Older birds will also do it occasionally, especially when they are coming back into lay after molting or something. There are a list of other causes, but with only one really young hen doing it, I would think it is related to her age and maybe breed if she is a commercial type, not dietary or disease related. It usually does not have anything to do with calcium being deficient in her diet, but if she has a shell gland defect it couple be related to her ability to use the calcium correctly in making a shell, time will tell that if it doesn't straighten out. The Poultry Site has a good article on shell less eggs and causes.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggproblems.html

8. Aamanda

Aamanda Chirping

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Thank you!! I hoping for "just getting started" for the cause. I had another from the same batch laying doubles for a bit. And yes they are "production" hens. Sold as RIR but from a hatchery. I was surprised to get some from them at this age at all.

9. tatertot

tatertot Songster

Aug 20, 2013
    Rubber eggs?

10. Aamanda

Aamanda Chirping

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Eggs with almost no shell. Real soft and "jelly" like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by