Egg shells appear to be thinning

Big Doggie

Songster
Mar 23, 2020
Mass
I have 11 month old Golden Comet pullets who have been great egg layers all winter. They are on All Flock with a generous supply of oyster shells on the side. In the last month or so the shells for a few of them have been very thin. Not sure why.
Any suggestions?

I have 11 month old Golden Comet pullets who have been great egg layers all winter. They are on All Flock with a generous supply of oyster shells on the side. In the last month or so the shells for a few of them have been very thin. Not sure why.
Any suggestions?
Are they eating the OS?
Mixing crushed egg shell in with the OS can help increase consumption.

Are you feeding any other foods or 'treats'?

Are they eating the OS?
Mixing crushed egg shell in with the OS can help increase consumption.

Are you feeding any other foods or 'treats'?
Yeah they get a handful of mealworms when I want to keep them busy. That way I can open their coop and clean it out without the whole flock in the way of my slotted scoop.
My question is do they stop eating the oyster shell or eat less of it for any particular reason? There’s a generous supply.

My question is do they stop eating the oyster shell or eat less of it for any particular reason?
Some bird aren't prone to eating the shell..gotta fool them into it.
I keep a few tablespoons in the feeder shown below.
I mix in crushed egg shells when I have them.
They don't eat it when not laying.
full

Any suggestions?
We have one out of 4 chickens that’s laying super thin eggs. Lately that egg is usually broken. Today I found it and can’t believe it’s not broken. It’s beyond thin. We give them oyster shells in their food and treats often. So odd.

Attachments

• 570A8DCC-79C5-4CF8-88D0-FDCDD2A7DBAC.jpeg
    570A8DCC-79C5-4CF8-88D0-FDCDD2A7DBAC.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 3C62C4BA-E1DA-4374-8F30-0D72BF764307.jpeg
    3C62C4BA-E1DA-4374-8F30-0D72BF764307.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom