1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MnBFitz, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MnBFitz

MnBFitz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2016
    Texas
    Do you feed your chickens their egg shells? Why or why not?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes - I have always used them as a feed back - while they are not the best option for a calcium source they are one source that can be used and since I always mixed them into the oyster shell bin they still got plenty of the more absorpable calcium found in the OS. You'll often hear that doing so will cause egg eating, but given the drastic change of form between offering crushed egg shell and a whole, fresh egg in a nest box the actual chance of such a correlation is improbable.

3. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    I choose not to. Oyster shell is easy for me to get, inexpensive, and easier to store. I don't find it worth the time to dry and crush the shells and would rather just toss them in the compost.

4. chickB26

chickB26 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    NE Ohio
    Good point

5. MnBFitz

MnBFitz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2016
    Texas
    Thank you! We have always fed our chickens the shells. I've heard pros and cons both ways.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

I offer egg shell and OS.
    I bake mine - I just usually toss them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the oven when I'm finished baking. Not too long or too hot - burned egg shells stink (don't ask how I know this[​IMG])
    Baking them makes it easy to store the extra in an airtight jar.

My girls will gobble them up, plus they do eat the OS too. I've found that my rooster will eat an occasional piece of shell, but won't touch the OS, so it may be a good source of calcium for the boys if you feed an all flock type feed (lower calcium) instead of layer pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by