Egg shells

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JaJoJu, May 20, 2011.

1. JaJoJu

JaJoJu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I just peeled boiled eggs. Can I give the shells to my five week old chicks? If so, do I crush them fine or what???

Thanks,

Diane

2. hippiechick53

hippiechick53 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Justin
    I was told to bake them and then crush them up. I mix them with scrambled eggs and yogurt for my girls.[​IMG]

3. JaJoJu

Apr 27, 2011
    Quote:May I ask why they need to be baked? And for how long? I did read that the shells help the chickens' eggs to have hard shells.

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Most of the time when you crush eggshells to feed back to your hens, it's because you're trying to give back the the calcium they need for producing eggs. 5 week old chicks haven't begun to lay yet, so they don't need calcium supplements, In fact, too much calcium isn't good for them. That's why they tell you not to feed layer feed to pullets that haven't started laying. If they are already on a balanced chick grower/starter, I wouldn't do it. I'd wait until they start laying. JMO.

Lisa

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Most of the time when you crush eggshells to feed back to your hens, it's because you're trying to give back the the calcium they need for producing eggs. 5 week old chicks haven't begun to lay yet, so they don't need calcium supplements, In fact, too much calcium isn't good for them. That's why they tell you not to feed layer feed to pullets that haven't started laying. If they are already on a balanced chick grower/starter, I wouldn't do it. I'd wait until they start laying. JMO.

x2!

Everything I've read says extra calcium is bad for chicks, and egg/oyster shells should not be given until they begin to lay. I was even warned of the calcium-enriched parakeet grit.​

6. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Quote:x2!

Everything I've read says extra calcium is bad for chicks, and egg/oyster shells should not be given until they begin to lay. I was even warned of the calcium-enriched parakeet grit.

X3 ... No calcium for chicks.

7. JaJoJu

Apr 27, 2011
    Thank you. I will hold off on eggshells for now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by