Egg shells

lilfitz2006

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 19, 2014
I have a stupid question. Do you have to sanitize egg shells before you feed them back to the chickens? I have some egg shells from hard boiled eggs that have been sitting on the counter for a couple weeks. They smell kinda funny, are they still safe to feed to them?

I don't think you need to sanitize shells fed back to chickens, unless you notice anything strange about the shells (mold growth, etc.). Since your egg shells "smell kinda funny", I would be a little wary of feeding them back to your hens. You could just toss the shells, or bake them in an oven for 10-20 minutes. The oven heat should kill any bacteria growth on the shells.

If I do heat the egg shells in the oven and give them to the chickens, is there a serious risk of it potentially getting them really sick?

I only crush the egg shells and put them right back into the feeder. I figure my chickens are out frolicking in the dirt, eating bugs, sand and dirt all day. The egg shells that I feed back to them are cleaner! I crush them by hand until they don't feel sharp and back they go, shell membrane, dried albumen and all. As you can see, the chickens don't seem to complain. I only occasionally supplement with oyster shell when I run out of egg shell. My feed has plenty of calcium, so this is above and beyond. I keep chicken husbandry as simple as possible.

Back
Top Bottom