Egg shipping question

muddler6

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Jefferson County, PA
Here is a newbie question, being as cold as it is here in Pennsylvania, is it even reasonable to ship eggs this time of year? Our mail is delivered between 12 and 1:00 most days, and we normally don't get it for a few hours after that. I would hate to order eggs just to have them freeze and be wasted. Soooooo...........?

Depends on several things, the first one being how they're packaged, them being sent Priority and actually getting there in the correct amt of time and then you can put a hold on your packages at the P.O. that week so you can go pick them up and not have them sitting outside waiting on you in the weather. It's a gamble, but it always is.

One of the breeders I got eggs from made sure my phone # was prominently listed on the address label with instructions to call me when they arrived at the PO. My carrier called and gave me the option of picking them up or waiting for him to get out to my house. Perhaps your carrier would be willing to do the same? Or a note could even be put on the box to have them held for you to pick up.

I do that with a bright yellow sticker and you know what? They completely ignore it most of the time. You need to put an official HOLD on your packages during the week you expect the eggs to be certain they do not deliver them.

Thanks for the ideas on shipping. I hope I can wait until spring, but I am already thinking, what would it hurt to try out a few eggs, I have a big garage (the garage has a furnace if I want to heat it) I can put the brooder in to keep the warm. But I would hate to keep them in there for too long, until they are feathered out enough to make it outdoors, by then it would be spring anyways.

I am shipping out of PA to all over the US and have not had reports of issues yet. I ship every winter and hatches do well. Packing is important and during winter most buyers provide their phone number for a call when the eggs arrive, so they don't risk sitting outside. I have not had any issues with the PO not calling the customer, but I guess it depends on the PO. Altho, as others have said..things could go wrong in shipping and they sit on a dock too long or in a truck which can ruin them. It's a risk you have to be willing to take. If not, then wait till spring.

Jody

I will TRY and wait until spring, but like I said, if I happen to start a little early, I'll have an idea what to do. Does everyone here use Paypal for buying eggs and so forth? I haven't opened an account yet, and normally do the check or money order deal with folks and have yet to have a problem.

I know I do paypal or money orders. Checks generally take too long to clear and people want their eggs right away, so I don't bother with them. Also it's tough to trust people in an online environment to even guarantee checks will clear. Just my thoughts.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom