egg signs of life???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pefferlawchicken, Feb 22, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    its day 21 i see nothing happening what should i look for to see if its alive plz help me !!!!

2. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    how long should i wait untill i know whats going on please i need some hand holding

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Just have Patience, your temps and humidity could have been low during incubation and that will slow the hatching down. You will see a pip (small hole) being developed by the chick, he will rest, learning to breathe in air and finish absorbing his yolk sac before he zips his way around the shell. This can take 24 hours and longer. I've had chicks hatch out as late as day 25.

4. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

im no expert but give them 3 more days after day 23 and than shake one and see if it rattles or feals light if so than its all dried out

5. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

also i see your from west virginia . what part ?
    im in berkeley springs wv ... if your interested i have 2 maran roosters and im looking for a good home for one or two

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Give them some time..low temps or Humdity can cause slow hatching. Atleast wait till day 26! I made the mistake not waiting and killed 2 live chicks. So plz just wait!

7. greenslope

greenslope New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    Easton MA
    I had the same problem and after day 25 they hatched and i had good healthy chicks

8. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    i only have one egg though and i just candeled him and i see a spot about 1cm by 1cm that is not filled im really concerned

and im looking for some hatching eggs too if anyone can ship some to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by