Egg size an indicator of nutritional status?

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
In the early spring/late winter my 4 hens had the yard to themselves and we had them totally on free range status. They have grit and OS free choice at the water stations and I haven't even bothered offering Flock Feed as they have been ignoring it completely. Now there is competition as many new breeders(wild birds) have moved in and are competing for resources on a 1 acre lot. They still have all the grass they can eat free choice and they are first out the gate for the morning bugs. Today I bought layer pellets with this though in mind........

Today their eggs were all in the small range and I was wondering if they aren't getting enough protein to fill their eggs properly? Shells are still perfect never had a single misfire there.

I have 4 acres available for range (when predators are under control). When my birds are able to range that land which is a mix of lawn, woodland, mulched orchard, long grass/weeds, they still get their fermented layer feed. They choose how much of the layer they will eat. I could not imagine not having the layer available to them.

The nutritional status of the hen is your best indicator of the nutritional status of the egg.
Best,
Karen

I have 4 acres available for range (when predators are under control). When my birds are able to range that land which is a mix of lawn, woodland, mulched orchard, long grass/weeds, they still get their fermented layer feed. They choose how much of the layer they will eat. I could not imagine not having the layer available to them.
As I said they had lost interest in it so I wasn't offering, and today I just noticed smaller eggs so thought it might be an indicator that they are missing something. My pasture for them is no longer in its springtime green state. As we are hitting the low 90's consistantly for about the last month with just around .2 inches of rain.

Back
Top Bottom