egg size and double yolks. should i be concerned

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jdywntr, Mar 24, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    My girls have been laying for about 1 month now. Today I got the largest egg yet. It was from my plymouth rock and is twice the size of any of the other eggs. I was surprised she could get it out. I have also been getting 2-3 double yolk eggs a week. I believe from the plymouth rock and my buff orpington.

Should I be concerned about the size and number of double yolks they are laying? Anything I should do to prevent it?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I just got a double yolk egg yesterday it happens I don't think you can do anything to stop them.

3. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    not at all. my kids absolutly love the double yolkers. they call those eggs "the twins". it will eventually end. ours did. don't worry about it. they are still good eggs

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I have a red mix hen that lays about one or two a week and has for 2 maybe 3 years now with out a problem.

5. Funsizeracing

Funsizeracing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    We consider the double yolkers bonus eggs. MMMM, fresh eggs for breakfast with extra yummy yolk!

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks. I wanted to make sure it was not overly taxing for them to lay them. I honestly think the huge egg laid today may have 3 yolks. I am trying to eat them in order of lay date so I'll have to wait to see. [​IMG]

7. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I have an EE that lays a double yoker at least once a week if not twice a week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by