Egg Size and other ?s

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kansasmom, Dec 2, 2010.

1. kansasmom

kansasmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    How do Black Australorp, Speckled Sussex and Buff Orpington eggs compare in egg production, egg size, broodiness, gentleness? As far as egg size, how do they compare to Barred Rock eggs? Also which of these breeds have "nice" roos?

Thanks

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They're all about the same egg wise. I never had a sussex go broody, but didn't have them too long. I'd go with an Orp or Australorp roo.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Aussies - excellent layers, large to X-large eggs, sometimes broody, gentle
    Speckled Sussex - good layers, medium to large eggs, sometimes broody, gentle
    Buff Orpingtons - good layers, large to X large eggs, often broody, very gentle

As far as nice roosters, it really is an individual thing. None of these three breeds are know for especially aggressive roosters. [​IMG]

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:I'll agree with Cowgirl except to say I find the Australorps to be about the same as the Buffs so far as egg production.

Rooster temperament seems to be specific to the individual bird. Buff Orpingtons are generally a very laid back breed that I'd recommend to pretty much anyone, but the meanest rooster I've ever personally encountered was a Buff! Highly unusual but there he was.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Brahmas are very gentle, while still having a personality, and lay huge eggs. However, they are not nearly as frequent a layer as some other breeds. Sweet roosters.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    A.T. Hagan :

Quote:I'll agree with Cowgirl except to say I find the Australorps to be about the same as the Buffs so far as egg production.

Rooster temperament seems to be specific to the individual bird. Buff Orpingtons are generally a very laid back breed that I'd recommend to pretty much anyone, but the meanest rooster I've ever personally encountered was a Buff! Highly unusual but there he was.

My Buff Orpingtons are excellent fall, winter, and spring layers. However they are poor summer layers because they spend most of it broody. [​IMG] That's why I rated them as "good." [​IMG] But maybe I should of rated them as "very good"...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by