egg size change

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smurfette, Sep 3, 2009.

1. smurfette

smurfette Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Somerset CO.
    my laying hens have been laying apx an egg a day each hen for well over a month now. Might have one or two not laying or not laying as often we have 18 laying hens and get apx 16 eggs a day.

My question is the size of the egg has begun to change to these enormous eggs HUGE to big to fit in even a xl egg carton when we crack the eggs they are laying double yolks again. is this normal behavior for young hens to bounce back and forth w/ laying the double yolks and for the eggs to be that big.

2 out of 16 eggs EVERY day for the past week have been HUGE.

RR hens feeding them layers mash and crumble mixed 50/50 , giving some garden scraps and fresh sweet corn and fresh not dried field corn.

Is any of this bad/good just looking for advice

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's normal. I've had my share of double yolkers too.

It's my understanding that when they get older, there will be less double yolkers.

3. smurfette

smurfette Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Somerset CO.
    is it normal for the eggs to be that big they are almost twice the size of the normal eggs, Is this bad for my hens couldnt that be like a mom trying to have a 3 month old baby (15+ lbs) ouch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by