Egg size - does it change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluck love, Jan 19, 2011.

1. cluck love

cluck love Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Northeast - very rural
    We have 4 Rhode Island Reds who are 5 months that just started laying about a week ago, 2-4 eggs a day [​IMG] ! The eggs are rather small, do they increase in size with time?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Yes they do. [​IMG]

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Yes they do! Every week they get a little bigger!

-Nate

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Congratulations on your eggs....How exciting!! It's like Christmas all over again.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, they will gradually get bigger.

6. tuthillny

tuthillny Semper Fidelis

Sep 27, 2010
    Ulster Co. NY
    Yes. It can also depend on the breed and the particular chicken. I have a leghorn and a RSL that went from small to large and extra large egg size in two weeks. But my EE lays a small egg that has barely increased in size.

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    My EE's also are laying Medium almost large size eggs and they are a little over a year old. They will get bigger I hope! My Leghorns are laying Large, X-L, Jumbos, and also Double Yolkers every once and a while! I love chickens!

8. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Ya, i was wondering this too. Great Question! My chanteclers started laying back in mid December, and their eggs are still very small, but my SL's when they started laying they had no small egg stage. They started big. [​IMG]

9. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Good to know! [​IMG]

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you line up all the eggs from each hen, from the first one laid on to the latest one, you will notice each subsequent egg is just a tad larger than the one before it.

I noticed that this year, my pullets' eggs have all been larger from the first, and they've gotten to be full size quicker than previous batches of new layers. The difference this time is I refrained from supplementing their light exposure until they were almost seven months old. This gave them more time to add to their size before using their energy reserves on egg production.

In comparison, the three little pullets I raised six weeks behind these began to lay within days of this first batch of pullets, and their eggs were all quite small. I can only conclude that the younger the pullet is when they begin laying, the smaller the first eggs will be.

Any others notice this correlation between age and egg size?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by