1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg size doubled over night!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dichotomymom, Aug 27, 2008.

1. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    One of my girls went from laying 2 inch eggs to an almost 4 incher overnight (no inbetween sizes)!

2. dichotomymom

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    oops, I meant almost 3 1/2 inches.....

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our chickens lay fairly good size eggs, I like our Brahma who is the largest of our chickens since she lay the smallest eggs which I prefer and her own laying box.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    WOW! Maybe it was a double yolker and fluke? Or maybe you are REALLY lucky. I really hope the chick that did it wasn't a bantam... LOL

5. dichotomymom

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I like the smaller ones for frying but baking got a little tricker. I had two take a couple of store bought to see how many my small ones were to make up a large egg.

6. dichotomymom

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    There not bantam but they aren't even full grown yet! Yeah, it might be a double yolker (waiting to show my husband tonight before I crack'r open.

7. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:I like mine for the egg poacher they don't spill over like the large eggs and for baking we use the large ones.

8. dichotomymom

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    It's just my luck that my husband detests eggs so my boys and I end up eating more than we probably need.

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Well, you are welcome to have my husband then! He likes his scrambled and eats a good 1/2 dz in one sitting!!! It was getting costly [​IMG]

10. dichotomymom

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    ;)mine is alittle less health concious than I'd like.....your husband's 6 doz eggs would be my husband's bag of doritos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by