Egg Size Silkie x Leghorn Cross

crankyyanky1

In the Brooder
May 23, 2016
I have about 10 Silkie x Leghorn Cross chicks that just hatched their dad is the Silkie Roo and Moms are Leghorns I was just wondering for people that have these kind of crosses how big the eggs are I am thinking about keeping some I have to replenish some of my flock and I was also going to get some Barred Rock this year but I want good size eggs and my silkies I currently have 2 put out small eggs I don't want to keep too many of the chicks and put a lot of work into them if they are going to put out small eggs I will only keep a few. Anyone with any info would be great Thanks

I've had California White (White Leghorn Female x California Grey Rooster cross - bought from hatchery for 4H project) Hens mix with a Silkie Rooster, and I've found them to be decent layers of medium to large eggs, laying about 3-5 a week in the fall, closer to 6 a week in the spring/summer. I've found that my chickens (and their crossbred offspring) often will lay approximately the same size as the mother, and I haven't really noticed any outliers to this (in my experience, thus far). If you have concerns, you could try to raise them (and any other chickens you are interested in) to point-of-lay and sell what you don't want can't keep. That's how I usually do it, but probably why I currently have 71 chickens plus 42 eggs in an incubator...
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom