Egg Size To Small?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizardboy55, Aug 21, 2014.

1. lizardboy55

lizardboy55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hello,

My Amberlinks, Red Sex Links, and My Road Island Reds have been laying for about a month now and their eggs are still only half the size of the store bought eggs. (we crack two to make one store bought egg) My neighbor has the same breeds, same food, and got bigger than store bought eggs in the matter of two weeks. Am i doing something wrong? I have six chickens and my coop can fit up to nine stander breeds. I give them about an half hour of free range time every day. They can also go into their run as they please. Is this small egg size normal?

Thanks!

2. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

Give them time they will get larger. Every chicken is different.

3. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Just make sure they get quality food, plenty of water & oyster shells or other calcium source. My sussex laid pretty small eggs for about 3 months or so before they gradually got larger. My marans laid pretty decent eggs after the first couple weeks and now lay very large, chocolate colored eggs. Huge differences in egg size and how long they take to get to optimal size between breeds and individual birds. Yours will start getting bigger soon.

1 person likes this.
  4. lizardboy55

Jun 13, 2011
    Thank you all!

5. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have been laying over a month now. Nice deep brown medium size eggs. Now i have one that seems no be starting over again. Small whitish egg with a flat side on it. Two days in a now. You never know what they are going to give you.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How big is your coop(feet x feet)?
    Does your neighbor have a larger coop and run or free range more?
    Did you and your neighbor get your chicks at the same time from the same place? Genetics can be different even if breed is the same.

7. lizardboy55

Jun 13, 2011
    - 4ft by 7ft
    - yes but they have over 100 chickens (they use a shed and made a 7ft by 4 ft run, the coop is 3 times the size of the run)
    - same place but differen times, they got theirs about a year ago

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. lizardboy55

Jun 13, 2011
    Thank you so much for all your help. Another one just laied today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by